Friday, May 11, 2012

Do You Believe in Ghosts? (A Mother’s Day Tribute–honest, it is)




I believe in ghosts. As a psychologist, I am not supposed to subscribe to such an unscientific idea. But sometimes personal experience trumps science. Now I don’t believe in haunted houses and such. I’ve never met a malevolent ghost. But I do believe in the theory that people’s spirits sometimes stick around because of unfinished business. I have seen this happen twice in my life.



My brother was always my grandmother’s favorite. I didn’t really see anything wrong with this since I thought my big brother was the neatest person ever myself. And my grandmother never short-changed me in the love department; she just loved my brother a little bit more.



At the time that she died, my brother and his first wife were having marital problems. Shortly after she died, they split up, and my brother moved into my grandmother’s now vacant house. He invited his good friend, Doug, to be his roommate, and all was well in their bachelor pad.



About a year later, my brother started dating a gal who was, shall we say, a bit high-maintenance. She eventually moved in with him. At first we thought Sandy was making stuff up when she talked about finding spent matches on the edge of the stove. The old thing had a flaky pilot light that tended to go out on a regular basis. Sandy was convinced that Grandma was re-lighting the pilot to keep her precious boy from blowing up or being overcome by leaking gas. We didn’t even believe her when she told us she’d actually seen a plump gray-haired woman up in the attic when she’d gone up there looking for something. The woman was standing in front of a pile of boxes of my grandmother’s things, glaring at Sandy.



Then one day, she asked my brother why he kept moving her slippers out from under the edge of the bed. For the fifth time, she’d found them across the room when she was sure she’d left them close to hand (or foot rather) under the bed.



That stopped us cold. My grandmother was a lady. She never, ever said anything blatantly off color. But when she was watching old movies with Rock Hudson or Cary Grant, she would sigh and say, “That man can put his shoes under my bed any time he wants.” We, as kids, had no clue what this meant. It just stuck in our heads because we thought it was a strange thing to say.



When Sandy accused my brother of moving her slippers, the pieces fell into place. Grandma did not like Sandy! She did not want this girl’s slippers under her grandson’s bed.



A few months later, my brother decided he agreed with our grandmother and he gave Sandy the boot. Awhile after that, the sweet young woman who ended up becoming his second wife moved in. And we never heard from Grandma again.




Fast forward 35 years. My mother died at 76 after a 6-month battle with cancer. She and my stepfather had retired to Florida but most of their friends and family still lived in Maryland (including my brother and I at the time) so he decided to have her memorial service up north. After the service he headed back to Florida. He had already decided that he didn’t want to live in their house alone; he was going to move into a condo. On that long drive south, he was thinking about everything he needed to do to get the house ready to put on the market. As he thought about how he would dispose of my mother’s clothing, he started getting a case of the guilts. Was it disrespectful to be so hasty about throwing out or giving away her clothes and other personal belongings?



When he got home, he walked into the bedroom and opened the closet door. The rod in the closet had broken, on my mother’s end, and had dumped all my mother’s clothes onto the floor of the closet. He looked at the ceiling and said, “Got it, Marty,” and went to get bags to start packing up her clothes for Goodwill.



So, this is a Mother’s Day tribute. To Ma and Grandma, who stuck around even after they were dead to make sure everybody was okay.



Anybody have their own ghost story or Mother’s Day tribute to share?

posted by Kassandra Lamb

7 comments:

  1. I want my own ghost story! Hasn't happened yet. My mom said after her father passed away, she would smell his cigar in her room at night and knew that he was visiting her. I think love is too strong a bond for a little thing like death to break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh... Creepy! I think ghosts and Mother's Day are a great pairing. I've never seen or experienced a ghost, that I know of, but friends of mine have. Regardless of what they are or where they come from, I believe they serve a purpose. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen them many times. My book is based on my experiences. I am not sure why I am so sensitive to them.. I have heard that women are more sensitive and it is more likely to happen as we get older.
    Great story! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let us know when your book comes out, Susie! Love paranormal stories, especially ones based on fact :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could see a ghost but I am glad yours are real and helpful. My friend is going to school for psychology and she also believes as you do, so fear not about going against the grain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, everyone, thanks for stopping by. My grandmother, brother and I were a tight little threesome when I was growing up, so I really enjoyed writing about her ghost.

    Wow, Susie! Gotta get your book. Thanks, August and Jennifer, for your encouragement.

    Kass Lamb

    ReplyDelete